Sunday, January 9, 2011

Jayne's Story

It has been 34 years since I first met Hal and I knew when I met him that I had something special. I found my best friend. He was always a hard working individual always making time to help someone else even though he had not the time or money. I would later see this quality in him when he reached out to help his own family members even at a time when we had little money and a very sick child stricken with cancer.
We have always been a very private family, unwilling to talk about our problems but instead just plow on with life and hope for the best. This is what we have tried so desperately to do over the past four and a half years. It hasn't been easy. I thought I lost Hal on two occasion's in the spring and summer of 2006. It was a miracle he didn't die. Few people knew what we were going through at the time. One very special person who helped me and our family survive this horrific period was Ed McGarry. He had been working with Hal during this time and if not for him we would have lost the business back then. He stuck with us and even rushed Hal to the hospital a year later after he collapsed on a job.
This is difficult to talk about even now because we never expected to be in this position. We thought there would be a cure for all the horrible things Jefferson hospital did to my husband. Little did we know that things would end up as they have. My husband is still a fighter. That is what attracted me to him  34 years ago. We will be married 30 years this spring and, I have never seen him more determined to get justice from those responsible for this horror. When the weather is good and he feels up to it he will still sit outside the neuroscience building and talk to people about what happened. As sick as he is he doesn't give up because he has realized from talking to all the people that he isn't just fighting for himself anymore, but for all the people that have been harmed by this hospital. Hundreds of people have told my husband horrible stories about the way they were treated. Some have even removed there family members from the hospital. Others tell him they will never go there for medical treatment.
This is the horror that has consumed our lives over the past four and a half years. It has been filled with uncertainty and doubt about where this will all end. Numerous treatments and drugs have been tried and have failed during this time. The only hope we believe we have is to bring this horrible story to the fore front of the medical world and the media. We are asking all those that know us and all those that have read the blog to call and write Jefferson hospital in condemnation for what they have done. We also ask that they call the local media T.V. and newspapers and make them aware of what is going on at Jefferson hospital. If by some miracle there is a cure or relief it will only come if more people know what happened and Hal is able to afford the care. I need my best friend.

1 comment:

  1. To anyone reading this...please know that this is truly a tragedy. Hal and Jayne were our Best Man and Maid of Honor at our wedding 25 years ago. This blog only partially paints the picture of the delcine this family has been through as a result of the events that took place during Hal's treatment. As with any debilitating condition, the world is robbed of a vitial contributior and all of us who love him are being deprived of our beloved Hal. My heart breaks for you Hal and for Jayne and the girls. We love you and are here for you. Sue and Miles.

    ReplyDelete